Divorce can be an emotionally exhausting process. Even the simplest, most amicable divorces take a toll on the people who go through them. You should know, however, that it is possible to move on from a divorce with positive energy and a great deal of hope for the future.
Our experienced family law attorneys have provided some tips below:
- Put it into perspective. After a divorce is finalized, you may occasionally think, “Should I really have done this?” But when those thoughts creep into your mind, put it all into perspective by asking yourself if you really would go back to six months or a year ago. The answer is almost certainly no.
- Consider other people’s stories. Many people coming out of a divorce say they gain a great deal of empathy for other people who are also going through difficult times in their own lives. Everyone has a story about the heartaches they have experienced, and going through something as difficult as a divorce can really provide some insight and empathy into the challenges facing others.
- Learn to be flexible. Suddenly being single, and yet having the same responsibilities you had before your divorce, can be quite overwhelming. The sooner you learn to be flexible and realize you cannot do everything and be everywhere, the more relieved you will feel.
- Learn about yourself. The time immediately following a divorce should include some introspection. Rather than jumping into a new relationship immediately, consider taking some time to rediscover who you are and what makes you tick.
- Take it day by day. Know that the hard times will pass. Coming out of a divorce can be overwhelming, as there will most likely be a moment where you wonder what will come next. There is still a whole life ahead of you.
If you could use assistance before or during a divorce, consult a compassionate and knowledgeable Jacksonville family law attorney with Combs Greene, PA.
Attorney Andrea Jevic contributed to this blog post.